Why are hard water stains so hard to remove? Well, trust me, they are not so severe. Just use the right method, and the next moment, they are gone. Let us first understand what hard water is and how do you recognize whether your water is the hard one or not.
Hard water can be termed as water with the presence of calcium and magnesium ions. Trust me! There are both pros and cons to it. Arguably so, hard water tastes better than its counterpart, but it also leaves behind the problem for which you are searching a solution.
So, these hard water stains are nothing but calcium or magnesium mineral stains. Well, then, do not worry! There are many methods by which you can eliminate hard water stains.
Each time you take a shower and allow the water to dry on the glass, those spots and stains are the minerals left behind. Well now, without further ado, let us understand the removal of these annoying hard water stains.
First, ensure whether they are hard water stains or soap residues. Why? Because it is easy to get confused between hard water stains and soap residues because of their appearance. What is the simplest way to tell the difference? Just apply regular detergent! Yes, you heard it right! If it comes off, it is undoubtedly soap residue. If it does not, then you have a hard water stain.
Hard water does not lather well with soap as calcium and magnesium ions form complexes with the fatty acids of the soaps and form soap residues. So, technically these soap residues are a combination of a hard water stain along with soaps and body oils mixed.
Make sure you read all the methods before you choose one. Choose wisely according to the availability of the listed items for the given procedures.
Cleaning Glass Door Using Liquid Cleaners
Usage of Acidic Cleaner
Hard water stains are mostly alkaline, so acidic cleaners can easily dissolve them. Squirt the cleaner directly onto the glass door or put onto the sponge and then apply it. The next step is to scrub it with a non-abrasive scrubber or sponge.
- Removes the stains entirely without much effort.
- They are maybe toxic.
- May damage the glass.
Note: – Before using the cleaners, make sure you read the instructions mentioned on the product label. Use proper safety gear before using it.
Lime Way Bathroom cleaner
Driven Extreme Glass Cleaner (Contains abrasives)
- Driven Extreme Duty Glass Cleaner was designed to remove the very toughest, etched in, hard water build up and stains from any glass surface
- By combining an acid gel, with our Extreme Cutting Abrasives and a full spectrum of industrial strength cleaners, Driven Extreme Duty Glass Cleaner has the power to clean the most severely weathered glass surface
- Safely Removes:Severe Hard Water Spots, Calcium and Mineral Buildup, Heavy Lime Scale, Salt Spray Deposit, Rust Deposit, Alkali, Mold & Mildew, Paint Over-spray
Usage of any Other Cleaners:
Not only acidic but other cleaners also effectively remove the stains. The procedure is like acidic cleaners.
- Does not damage the glass at all.
- Maybe expensive.
Note: – Before using the cleaners, make sure you read the instructions mentioned on the product label.
- Rejuvenate Scrub Free Soap Scum Remover Non-abrasive Cleaning Formula - Spray and Rinse for Streak Free Finish on Glass, Ceramic Tile, Chrome, Plastic and More
- Effective to use on glass, ceramic tile, fiberglass, natural stone, plastic, chrome and porcelain
- Easy to use, just spray and rinse, for a streak finish
- The no scrub soap scum remover is the winner of multiple cleaning product awards
- Winner of multiple cleaning product awards | Proudly Made in America
Scum Off Cleaner
- Non-Toxic Environmentally Safe All-Purpose Cleaner Has The Power To Make Your Toughest Cleaning Jobs A Breeze
- Specially Designed To Clean Hard Water Stains, Calcium Deposits And Soap Film Without Scrubbing
- Eliminates the need for other household cleaners
- Works Great On Any Shower Surface Like Fiberglass, Marble, Granite, Tile And Glass Doors - Even Ceramic Stovetops
- Concentrated Formula Has 100 Times The Cleaning Power Compared To Bathroom Cleaners Bought In The Store
Mix Salt and Water
It is a household remedy. The salt acts as a scouring powder and efficiently removes the stain. Apply the salt mixture and use a clean cloth to rub the stain in a preferably circular motion.
- Cost-effective and secure method.
- Mayor may not remove the stains effectively.
Note: – Rinse the glass thoroughly when finished to remove the saltwater residue.
Use White Vinegar
It is the most popular household remedy for removing hard water stains. One can also mix lemon juice with vinegar to create a more effective solution. Mix them in a bottle, shake, and spray onto the glass.
- Easy to use and implement.
- May damage the non-porous glass surface.
- Gives off a strong odor.
Note: – After spraying the vinegar solution on the glass, let it stand for about 2-3 minutes before wiping it clean. For a stubborn stain, heat the vinegar solution.
Usage of Non-Liquid Cleaners
Use Barkeepers Friend or any other related product
This is by far the most tedious and complicated process. This process can be termed as elbow grease. So, brace yourselves! Firstly, prepare a paste by adding Barkeepers Friend powder to a bowl and add enough water. Then, use a hand or any soft brush to rub the paste over a section of the glass. Now, use a 0000 Super Fine Steel Wool pad and start scrubbing in a circular motion. Finally, RINSE with water.
This is one of the most recommended methods. However, the products used sometimes maybe too abrasive or too acidic. The naked eye cannot view some damages done by this method. Also, further damage will occur even faster as there will be many micro-scratches, and the surface becomes porous.
- For better results, soak a sheet in white vinegar and drape it over the glass before applying Barkeepers Friend paste.
- Use a glass cleaner to clean the other side of the glass.
- Preferably only use 0000 Super Fine Steel Wool as it produces the best results. Other types of Super Fine Steel Wool may cause abrasion.
- Barkeepers Friend is NOT suitable for glass.
Barkeepers Friend powder
- 3 piece power scrub brush kit. DRILL NOT INCLUDED
- Brushes are made with stiff bristle fiber and our securely attached to the block.
- All three brushes have quarter inch steel QUICK CHANGE shafts
- Works great on concrete, brick, fireplace, stone, sidewalks and driveways
- All Drillbrush Products have a 90 day no questions asked Money back Guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with our product we will issue a full refund or ship out a replacement at the buyer's request. Cordless Drill NOT included.
- ✔ SO CLEAN SO FAST : This drill brush will turn your ordinary drill into a super power bathroom scrubber. A steel shaft is molded directly into the brush helping to attach to your drill (FIT DRILL CHUCK SIZE 3/8” OR LARGER). Now your drill can do your share of scrubbing. No more manual scrubbing!
- ✔ CLEAN TILE & GROUT EFFECTIVELY : Tried and Tested suitable for bathroom cleaning and removing hard water stain. With fast rotary power and extra-strong bristles, it will whip away stains, rust, mineral deposits ... on tile, bathtub, sinks …
- ✔ IMPROVED DESIGN : So Clean So Fast drill brush comes with stiff bristle that keeps it stable during rotating and cleaning
- ✔ A NEW WAY TO CLEAN : Apply elbow grease to moderately dampen the cleaning area. Turn on the drill to low speed. No need to apply lots of pressure. You can clean a standard size shower in less than 20 minutes with superb results.
- ✔ WHAT TO EXPECT : 5 inch diameter drill brush with red stiff nylon bristle with hexagon drill bit is molded into the brush, packaged in paper box with So Clean So Fast brand. DRILL NOT INCLUDED. Recommend to use with a lightweight cordless drill which has keyless chuck size 3/8-inch or larger.
Steel wool (Superexcellent grade #0000)
Use Baking Soda
- PURE Sodium Bicarbonate is food grade; great for cooking, baking, and cleaning
- Freshens air in refrigerators, microwaves, and pantries
- Can help with indigestion and heartburn*
- Aluminum-Free; Use to make DIY bath bombs or use to whiten laundry
- 100% Pure: Never any additives or fillers
Cut a lemon in half and dip its cut side in baking soda, then rub it on the stains. The acid in the lemon reacts with the baking soda, making lathery foam.
- Presence of fresh and pleasant lemon scent. (Subjective)
- May damage the glass.
Note: – You may add lemon oil, which helps to repel water such that soap doesn’t dry on the glass.
Mix vinegar and baking soda. Apply the paste on glass and let sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing.
- 9X STRONGER THAN VINEGAR: Highly concentrated and powerful. Calyptus 45% Vinegar can be diluted up to 1:8 with water or used at full strength for the toughest jobs.
- MAKES 9 GALLONS: 1 gallon of Calyptus 45%, diluted 1:8, makes 9 gallons of regular cleaning vinegar. That's a lot of vinegar!
- ULTIMATE INDOOR OUTDOOR ALL PURPOSE CLEANER: Clean floor, carpet, tile, ceramic, glass, sink, drain | Remove stain, odor, limescale, soap scum, rust | Clean deck, patio, brick, masonry, vinyl siding | Heavy duty automotive and boat cleaning | Garden
- EXCLUSIVELY AMERICAN: Our ultra powerful cleaning vinegar is created in the US from domestic high purity ingredients and filled in New York. Carefully and conscientiously produced, every step.
- CALYPTUS PROMISE: We only produce safe, natural, and effective products that you will love. Enjoy the best home and outdoor cleaning experience or it's on us.
- America's #1 trusted Baking Soda brand
- FOR MORE THAN 100 YEARS: A versatile, effective and affordable solution that has been trusted for over 170 years
- MORE THAN 100 USES: The most useful product in your home that saves time and money
- ALL PURPOSE CLEANER & DEODORIZER: From kitchen to bathroom to laundry room – use on fixtures, laundry, furniture, toys, pots, pans, etc.
- BEYOND CLEANING: Resealable, water-resistant bag can be used for hair and skin treatments, crafts for kids and even pedicures
In case you run out of supplies for baking soda and are not interested in buying them, then use toothpaste as an alternative. Apply toothpaste to a scrubber or anything that suits you and rub it over the stain using circular motions. Wait a few minutes and then rinse off the paste with vinegar solution to remove all residue.
- Cost-effective, and easy to use.
- May does not work very efficiently.
Use Commercial Paste Cleaners
Well, it is the last of the lot. The feasibility and effectiveness of paste cleaners may vary from one another, but most of them are very useful to get rid of stains. Just apply the paste, leave it idle for a few moments, and then rinse it. That is it!
- They do not leave back any marks.
- They leave behind a foggy haze.
Note: Before using the paste cleaners, make sure you read the instructions mentioned on the product label.
- Remove toughest hard water stains
- Biodegradable formula produces no smelly or harmful fumes
- Trusted by professionals and homeowners for daily and regular cleaning of shower doors, windows, stainless steel, chrome, porcelain and granite surfaces without worries
- Works better than the leading products because it is not diluted and is a powerful concentrated hard water stain remover for the kitchen and bathroom.
- Frustration free cleaning. Guaranteed to work or your Money BACK!
- Removes the Toughest Stains
- Contains No Acids, Bleach, or Chlorides
- PROFESSIONAL HARD WATER STAIN REMOVER: Get the powerful industrial and commercial strength that takes stains, spots, and rust out! Remove years of unwanted hard minerals
- Form: Aerosol
- For: Windows, Tile/Grout, Glass
- Features: Eco Friendly
Preventing Future Hard Water Stains
Regularly clean glass surfaces
Daily or maybe even weekly, but try to clean glass surfaces regularly so that the stains do not come back again.
Do not let the stains be there for long. Act as quickly as you can.
Stop stains before they start
To stop stains means to end the problem at the source itself. For this, try to correct calcium and magnesium mineral levels in your water. One can either remove the minerals in the water by attaching a filter to your water system or add water softeners to make hard water softer.
Protect from future stains
For this, the contact between the glass surface and hard water must be cut off. Consider applying a wax-based protective coat as water runs off the wax-treated glass or use a commercial sealant.
Bio-Clean Professional Sealant
- Comes in a 16 oz. bottle and can be stored in a tool box or glove compartment
- Effectively seals almost any surface in order to obliterate pesky hard water stains
- Formulated with only non-chemical and non-acidic based cleaning ingredients
- Ensures your recently cleaned surfaces remain free of hard water stains for as long as 2 years
- Works cleaning wonders on glass, auto windshields, paint, tile, porcelain, metal and so much more
Things to Remember before Removing Water Stains
- To begin with, wet the entire surface with warm or hot water. This lubricates the surface, and the added heat will help the cleaner work better.
- For a natural cleaning process, plan to wipe down the shower right after the last person has finished up their shower for the day.
- NEVER use abrasive scrubbing pads.
- Scrub the stain in all directions.
- Never let the cleaning solutions dry on the glass.
- Be careful when cleaning glass surfaces that meet other materials like metal or stone.
IMPORTANT TIP: Choose a small area to do a spot test.